Saturday, August 23, 2008

Manchester is all about sport

When you ask someone in Poland what he/she knows about Manchester, the most obvious answer would be - Manchester United; some will also mention Manchester City (no offense, folks).

There is that magnetic "thing" about Manchester, being a capital city of football and I reckon my compatriots simply can't be bothered to get to know this city a little bit more. Truly, I need to admit, the football in Manchester is not only a game. It is not even a beloved sport of Britons living here. It appears to me almost as a religion - with its totems, symbols, secret signs and not-secret-at-all songs being like anthem for its supporters.

As I discovered here, Mancunians divide themselves into those who support Manchester United and those who would give their lives and souls to Manchester City. Simply as that - black and white, that's it. Full stop. You cannot really pass either of those supporters without wondering - why it is so special and important for them to tune their lives into a never ending schedule of football games?

Well, with my journalist-soul and a little bit of incentive from Mario, I decided to fell a little bit of this 'religion' on myself.

First - Manchester United - playing hard to drive back Juventus Turin's attacks. Again, no offense Man Utd supporters, but even though I am not an expert in football, I could see Manchester wasn't really in shape that day. The result nil:nil. OK then, human-wave made 5 times was impressive, I admit, so were the songs and those guys shape. Did I love it? Well, I liked enough to overcome the regrettable lack of ....commentators :)

presentation of Manchester United Team
Champions

a little bit of training before the match

both teams just before the match

go, boys! go!

dangerous situation

crowdy...

With a hunger for more, with a smile on our faces and energy in our hearts, Mario and I went to see how Manchester City "welcomes" AC Milan here in OUR CITY. That was better match, at least in terms of energy and speed we experienced. This time "we" won 1:0 to friends from Italy.

Mario in front of Manchester City Stadium


Manchester City team before the match

supporters

precision in every move

Did those experiences made me crazy-talking, blue or red T-shirt-wearing, big fan of either one of those teams? I am not sure, really. Do you want to know what was really good, though? - It was the atmosphere - family, fair-play, weekend, relaxing and good piece of entertainment - are the words I can describe those matches with.

one: nil ...ups!

run run!

Marta and Mario = M&M

:)

After all, isn't exactly that, that drives those thousands of people to those stadiums every time their team plays?....I don't know - you tell me!

good feeling!

No comments:

Post a Comment